Its one of the many physical signs that a girl is turning into a woman.
The process in a woman of discharging blood & other material from the lining of the uterus at intervals of about one lunar month (28 days) from puberty until the menopause, except during pregnancy.
Menstruation is not same as the menstrual Cycle,
The menstrual Cycle describes the Cyclic changes in the woman’s body going through—
- the follicular phase,
- the luteal phase,
- and back to menstruation again to begin the Cycle.
Menstruation is therefore one of the 4 phases of Menstrual Cycle.
*Cycle of natural changes that Occurs in the uterus and ovary as an essential part of making sexual reproduction possible.
*Essential for the production of eggs.
*Preparation of the uterus for pregnancy.
*Fertile period of a woman’s life b/w menarche (age of onset of menstruation) & menopause.
Normal features of Menstruation :
1) Duration of menstrual flow,
2) Quality of the menstrum,
3) Amount of blood loss,
4) The flow pattern, &
5) Associated Symptoms
- Last from 3 to 7 days.
- Exact duration Varies from woman to woman
- It however shows little or no Variation for the same woman from Cycle to cycle.
- Most women do not experience Cycle to Cycle changes more than 1 or 2 days
- It is Unusual for the same woman to have wide swings such as 3 days duration in one Cycle & 7 days in another.
Quality of the menstruum
- Menstrual blood is normally bright or light red in Color.
- It Could look brown in some and still be normal menstruation
- It must not have a foul odor
- Small Clots may be a normal part of menstrual blood.
Amount of blood loss
The average blood loss during normal menstruation is about 35 ml, with a range of 10 to 80 ml.
usually understood from the no. of pads Soaked.
The flow pattern
Normally, as menses begin to flow, the amount of blood loss seems to increase gradually until it attains a maximum and then starts diminishing as the end of the flow draws near.
Pattern is described as crescendo – decrescendo pattern.
- Breasts fullness
- Mild lower abdominal pain or Irritability
- Fluid retention
- weight gain
- Mood Swings
- Breast tenderness.